Egg fried rice is one of my go-to dishes because its quick, easy, cheap and tasty. It's a great way to use up the left over veggies you have in the fridge before they go mouldy and have to be thrown away. I discovered this dish when I was living in Paris and working long hours on my placement year. I was trying to eat well and fulfil my protein and fibre needs, while being on a tight schedule and feeling exhausted every evening. Admittedly I would buy pre-cooked rice and add it to the dish but theres nothing wrong with shortcuts!
2 or 3 eggs
Chopped vegetables (whatever you have)
Chopped spring onions
1) In a pan, fry the onion, garlic and vegetables in olive oil until slightly softer. I always add the vegetables that take the longest to cook first (E.g. carrots, aubergine) and the quickest cooking vegetables last (E.g. peas, sweetcorn, spinach).
2) Add the rice and stir it well with the vegetables
3) Move the vegetables and rice to one side of the pan, crack the eggs on the empty side and scramble them until no longer runny.
4) Once cooked, stir in the eggs with the rice and vegetables.
5) If desired, move the egg fried rice to one side and cook an extra fried egg (as a topping)
6) Add soy sauce and garnish with spring onions.
How did yours go? Comment below!